Sunday, March 18, 2012

Is A Spyder Owner A Real Biker?



Believe it or not, my next vehicle purchase is going to be a Can Am Spyder. Our youngest child will be graduating from high school in a couple of months and most likely headed for marriage soon thereafter, meaning my wife and I will be able to get by with one car. My original plan was to get rid of one of the cars and then buy a two-wheel bike but I have become intrigued by the Spyder. But I have to ask the question will I be considered less of a biker if I own a Spyder?

I will definitely still own my fantastic riding glasses, my leathers, gloves and obligatory girl on the back of the bike; but will that be enough? The reason I ask is because I already know about the people who ride their racing bikes in their nylon jackets and don't know much about the biking community; I know they are referred to as 'weekend warriors'. They are not considered "real bikers" by most of the hard-core Harley riders I know. I really don't want to become a biker outcast because I had purchased a Spyder. However, if that did happen, I suppose I would be forced to make a statement about my independence and buy myself a Lone Wolf patch for my leathers.

Anyway, riding glasses and leather jackets aside, what makes the Spyder so intriguing to me is its stability. It is so stable that there are currently three states (California, Delaware, and North Carolina) where you don't even need a special motorcycle license to operate one of the public roads. I find this very impressive and seeing as I prefer to consider safety these days than what people think about me, it impresses me even more. Stability is very important because during my younger days of riding, I actually rolled my Honda 550-four a few times.

With the Spyder I'll still have the open road feeling, the wind on my face, and sun my shoulders. But I will be safer and some people would even say I was cooler. I might even start a trend and my older biker friends will also buy a Spyder. Maybe.



No comments:

Post a Comment